Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Capturing motion

I took this picture using a Minolta 35mm film camera back in 1996. The man on horseback is practicing yabusame - an ancient style of Japanese archery, done from horseback.

I stood next to the roped off area and tried to capture the archer by using a flash and panning. I didn't really know what I was doing so the shot didn't come out the way I wanted. But after looking at it over the years, I thought the motion and speed was more interesting than a frozen-frame picture of the archer that was clear and crisp. I'd be interested to see if there are other opinions, though.

One other related thing--my blog pal Gerry Gomez over at "There Is The World" suggested that I put a copyright mark into my photos. I had some help but figured out how to do this, so yesterday's and today's photos have a mark on them (thanks Gerry!).

Another photo tomorrow...

3 comments:

Gerry Gomez said...

:)

You're welcome.

I like this snap!

Gerry

snowelf said...

My pics turn out like this all the time. ;) hehehe!

Someday I should blog about the first time I ever rode a horse...that's a pretty funny story.

--snow

jtj3 said...

Gerry, glad you like it...thanks! Snow, this is one of those "Er, yeah...I meant to do that..." kind of shots. I'd be interested to hear your story re: riding a horse for the first time--looking forward to it!

Jim