Thursday, December 27, 2007

Japanese Craftsman

I shot this in the Asakusa district of Tokyo, home to many shrines and temples. This gentleman was making wood cutouts and carvings and selling them (apparently) to make his living. I struggled to get the settings on my camera correct, so you can see a vaguely irritated look on his face because he waited for me to take the shot. I made sure to say "sumaimasen" (please excuse me) as he waited, and "doomo arrigato" (thank you very much) when I finished. I also bought one of his cutouts, which smoothed things over.

Another photo tomorrow...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

He does not look irritated at all. Nice pic.

jtj3 said...

Neo, thanks! Maybe it was just me worrying about his reaction. Anyway, I was happy with the way this turned out, and it's my first foray into people shots. Hopefully I'll get to do more like this...

Jim

Daniel said...

Nice shot!

jtj3 said...

Thanks, Dan...glad you enjoyed it. Hey, keep those pictures coming for Guest Photo Fridays! (C:

Jim