Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Butterfly Farm

This is from a vacation trip to the southern Caribbean in 2003. We visited the island of Aruba, where they have something called "The Butterfly Farm". It's an open-air environment (screened in, of course) with many different varieties of butterflies in their natural habitats. They're all incredibly photogenic, and I really liked the soft glow/sheen off this butterfly's wings. I couldn't tell you what species it is, just that I found its coloring beautiful. It was also very peaceful and relaxing to watch the slow, deliberate wing movements--almost hypnotic.

If you ever get the chance to visit Aruba, this is one of the "must see" destinations, and it's just across the street from the beach area where the larger hotels are.

Another photo tomorrow...

2 comments:

Saline County, Arkansas Photos said...

It looks like a broach. Cool.

jtj3 said...

It does, now that you mention it! I'm going to post other pix from this place at some point--I was amazed at the coloring of the various species, and they're all so peaceful looking. I cruised over to your blog--you do nice work also! I'll add a link from my blog to yours, would appreciate the same. Please come back often to visit!

Jim