Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Hong Kong by Night

This picture does not really do justice to Hong Kong, but it gives you just a taste. I took this during the week leading up to the Lunar New Year, the biggest celebration of the Chinese calendar. This is looking down Nathan Road, Kowloon side. I took this picture at about 1AM--if you look closely you can see lots and lots of people still out on the streets. I was amazed at the number of people out at all hours of the day and night.

A walk down Nathan Road is the perfect synopsis of Hong Kong--loud, bright, full of advertising and trade, and very much to the point. On some of the side streets you'll see restaurants--not "Bob's Burger Barn" or "Harry's House of Hash", but places with names like "Beef Store #1" or "Chinese Food Restaurant #27". Hey, the names don't show much imagination, but you know what you'll get there...

I spent a little less than 24 hours here as a tourist. I don't know that I'd go back there as a tourist--I'm sure there's a lot to see and do, but I got the taste of both Kowloon and Hong Kong Island that I was looking for. I did enjoy it, though...

Another picture tomorrow...

2 comments:

George Lee said...

hi,

Welcome to Hong Kong.

My blog: http://hktour.blogspot.com

George

jtj3 said...

Hi George:

After looking at your blog, I've decided maybe I do want to visit HK again one of these days--lots more to see and do than I had time for in one day. Thanks for visiting and for your comment--and I'll visit your blog often also!

Jim