Monday, October 29, 2007

The Grand Canal

This is a view of the Grand Canal in Venice, taken from the Ponte di Rialto (Rialto Bridge). I took this in May of 2005. The weather was definitely a factor this day--we went from total sunshine to a medium-strength rainshower, and back, in the space of less than an hour.

If you visit it at the right time, Venice can be beautiful. Fortunately the spring is the best time to be there. In the fall, the tides rise and most of the streets are covered in brackish, smelly water. We timed it just right, though.

It's noisy, it's crowded, and it's polluted--however, it's also a beautiful city full of great art, history, and of course, Italian food. If the chance presented itself, I'd definitely go back.

Another picture tomorrow...

2 comments:

Simon said...

I have always wanted to visit Venice. I heard that it is a beautiful city. Btw, thanks for your kind words with regards to the fire situation. I really appreciate it.

jtj3 said...

Thanks Neo!